Monday, June 27, 2011

Way too short.


Today was a rough day. I must have had a premonition while writing yesterday's post, because today I found out two sweet souls would no longer be in my life.
First, and this may sound trivial, our pet bunny, Wheels, died all of a sudden and before our eyes. I have never watched a pet that I really loved die before. Our little two pound bunny, Wheels, who was only 2 and a half months old, was hopping around the apartment today like any other day, when all of a sudden he just stopped being able to use one of his front paws. After a few minutes, neither front paw was working. After about ten more minutes, he was mostly flaccid and unresponsive to touch. It was so sad. I had just gotten home from my follow-up doctor's appointment to see him darting around like normal. Within thirty minutes, he was dead. I bawled. If you know me, you may find this surprising, as I often don't understand people's intense connection with their animals- especially animals like cats, or rabbits. Well, now I understand, and I sympathize. We tried to get Wheely Boy to the emergency vet, but he died in Dan's lap on the way there. We had started out the short trip with me holding him, but I was crying too much, so Dan took over and I did the driving. I needed something else to focus on. We are going to bury him tonight in a field where he probably would have had fun hopping and sniffing and playing. :*(

Rest in peace, sweet Wheels. I hope you hop up to me when I go wherever I'm going.

When we got home from trying to take Wheels to the vet, I logged on to Facebook and discovered that one of my friends was tragically killed in a Man vs. Car accident. He was one of the sweetest, kindest, funniest souls I have met while living here in Orlando. We met in 2006 doing product promotions, and he would always make my friend Jessica and I laugh when we were getting tired or ignored by customers. He would buy us food and let us sit in the air-conditioned booth with him to get out of the sun when it was hot outside. I immediately went to his Facebook page upon learning this news, and with tears streaming down my face, I wrote him a little message. I know it's silly, but it's a closure thing, I guess. I scrolled down to see tens and tens of messages from friends and loved ones who felt the same way about him that I did. He was kind and pure and an all-around good person. I know he is in a good place, wherever that may be, and I hope that the individual that hit him is able to process the accident and find peace.




No comments:

Post a Comment